Saturday, March 8, 2014

THE END OF THE BOOK!

We are about to finish the novel Among the Hidden and I want you to reflect on the DBQ "China's One Child Policy. Was it a good idea?" Your evaluation will include an essay, that we have prepared, incorporating both the book we read and the DBQ we have studied. The big question is, "How much control should the government have over the lives of its citizens?" You have met Luke and Jen and you have studied the situation in China. We have also evaluated pop culture and it's influence. Please share your thoughts so that others may use them to formulate their essays. We are a team and are here to help each other. This is a place to pool your thoughts, document and reflect. Remember.....these need to be based on text - either the book or the DBQ or by outside sources that can be documented. So....what do you think? Was it a good idea or not?

12 comments:

  1. I still think the one child policy was a bad idea. I really think that the idea of making China better and stronger is an okay idea, but not the policy. The policy caused many deaths, and prevented many life's. If China is powerful enough to do most of the stuff they do, I'm sure they can find a better way to resolve the population problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't agree with you, Jarita. The One Child Policy did prevent many lifes, but it would be better for the second or third newborns in the family because the policy was originally made to save resources. So, the baby would have most likely died from starvation very slowly, making them suffer a lot.

      Delete
    2. America, I understand your reasoning's, and I understand that this is an opinion statement, and you were stating your opinion. I'm simply saying, that if they were powerful enough to do half the stuff China does, why couldn't they create a better solution? How do we even know the REAL reasons China enforced this policy? Could it just be a huge conspiracy?

      Delete
    3. Jarita,I am with you.I think that the one-child-policy was a very bad idea.If they had more people it would make China stronger,and yes their might have been food shortages,but they could've fight through it.You shouldn't have to sell your child or let them take them away from you just because they can.

      Delete
  2. I think the one child policy is a bad idea and so is the two child law in Luke's life. I think the govern should let the people of there country let them have as many babies as they want and don't bug the people of there country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think China's One Child Policy was a good idea because it reduced it's heavy population. On the other hand, where Luke lives, they do not need to reduce the population because there wasn't even that much people to even make it less.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the One Child Policy was a good idea. They needed something to lower the population. Right now there are about 1300 million people in China. ( The information is in document A, page 505, and it is a bar graph. ) Think how many people there would of been if the policy was never made. Before the law in Luke's state, or country was passed they were having food shortages because every was panicking that they would get no food, and there were riots over food. ( You can find this info in the book, Among the Hidden, chapter 28, page 135, paragraph 1, sentence 3.) They were scared this would happen again, so they made the law. For China it was a great idea for the policy, but in Luke's country not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The one-child-policy is just like Luke and Jens life except in Luke's story their has to be three or more children so they can take them away from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe both are bad ideas because China's One Child Policy isn't even working. China's population keeps growing and growing. About a year ago all around world news reporters were talking about how bad China's air pollution was. People were and still are dying because of the pollution. The graph in the packet shows that every ten years the population goes up drastically. Where Luke is they don't need it because they don't have as many people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. With what happens in the book, I feel as if it's a horrible thing, because children are being found and killed and nobody is following the laws. With real life circumstances, I feel as if it's a good thing because pollution is going down a lot and people are following the laws.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that the one child policy was a good idea because with the one child law people may be able to one day in China, have a sense of privacy because in China it is so crowded it is unbelivible you know the roads and sidewalks we have? Well if we were in China we would be lucky to find a sidewalk because it would be so crowded, also China can get more money to help their country after a natural disaster or anything else like that also more money can get them more technology, instead of just making it and sending it to other countries. As with the book, I think that the government should have a fair amount of control over out country because we dont want to be a country that is torn apart by riots and when we have natural disasters we wont be able to recover. But the amount of control they had in "Among the Hidden." was like crazy on steroids I do not find it fair that if the government finds a third child they can just shoot him/her like at the rally even if they did keep it secret. Also the government making people worried and on the point of losing all their property, in this case Luke's family farm. That is what I think about the China's one child policy and the "Among the Hiddens" two child policy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the one child policy is a good idea because there will be more space to think in to stretch in and more to sleep in. There will also be more water to drink, food to eat and more clothes to wear. There will be less pollution with less people making machines that make the pollution.

    ReplyDelete